If you have a bicycle, you need a good lock to keep it safe. A secondary bike lock is a great way to add an extra layer of security to your bike.
In this article, we will review the best secondary bike locks on the market. We’ll compare features and prices to help you choose the right lock for your bike.
Best Secondary Bike Lock Comparisons
|1||Titanker Bike Cable Lock, Thick Heavy Duty Security Vinyl Coated Flexible Steel Cable with Loop End (4FT(12mm))||4.92||Buy on Amazon|
|2||DINOKA Bike U Lock – 16mm Heavy Duty Security U Cable Bike Lock with 4ft Flex Bike Cable and Sturdy Mounting Bracket for Road Bike Mountain Bike Electric Bike Folding Bike||4.92||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Amazon Basics 6 ft. Adjustable Keyed Bike Cable Lock, Black, 1-Pack||4.68||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Thule Subterra Daypack-Dark Shadow (3203037)||4.68||Buy on Amazon|
|5||FoldyLock Compact Folding Bike Lock – Award Winning Patented Lightweight High Security Bicycle Lock – Heavy Duty Anti Theft Smart Secure Guard with Key and Case for Bikes or Scooter – 85 cm||4.89||Buy on Amazon|
|6||Schwinn Anti Theft Bike Lock, Security Level 4, U-Lock, Keys, Black||4.68||Buy on Amazon|
How To Select The Best Secondary Bike Lock
There are a few things you should look for before purchasing a secondary bike lock. First, you’ll want to make sure the lock is made of high-quality materials that are resistant to cutting and breaking.
Additionally, you’ll want to find a lock that is easy to use and that comes with a warranty in case it breaks or is damaged.
6 Best Secondary Bike Lock List
1. Titanker Bike Cable Lock, Thick Heavy Duty
The Steel Strong Steel Cable with Braided Steel Construction provides strength and flexibility for your bikes, and is coated in vinyl to protect it against rusting and scratching.
It comes in 4 sizes, and can be used to secure a variety of items, such as sports equipment, gates and fences, grills and lawnmowers, skateboards, tools, ladders, mechanism, and truck bed. The cable is sturdy and easy to adjust, and is also available in a variety of colors.
Things We Like:
- -Steel cable with braided construction provides strength and flexibility
- -Coated in vinyl protects against rusting and scratching
- -Wide function to secure bikes, sports equipment, gates, fences, grills, lawnmowers, skateboards, tools, ladders, mechanism, truck bed, and more
- -Sturdy double end-looped to adjust padlocks, u-locks, disc-locks and more
- -Available in 4 sizes
2. DINOKA Bike U Lock – 16mm Heavy
Double-opening head bicycle u lock is a safer option than single-opening head ulock. The lock cylinder is made of C-grade pure copper blades and has a precise structure to prevent various technologies from opening.
The bike u lock is also equipped with 2 rust-proof copper keys with a complex snake-shaped slot, which is safer to use.
Things We Like:
- -Double-opening head design makes it easier for the thief to break the locks
- -C-grade pure copper blades make the lock difficult to break
- -Snake-shaped key slots make it harder for thieves to steal the keys
- -16mm/0.63 inch hardened high-performance alloy steel makes the lock strong and resistant to cutting and lever attacks
- -Coated with PVC to make it easier to lock onto the bike
- -Portable size and easy to install
3. Amazon Basics 6 ft. Adjustable Keyed Bike
Looking for a tough and weather-resistant bike lock? Look no further than the Diamondback Outlaw Bike Lock. This lock includes a black finish and a weather resistant plastic coating.
The steel and plastic construction means this lock is durable and will last for years. The key cover and the easy lock mechanism make this lock easy to use and secure.
Things We Like:
- -Black finish
- -Weather resistant plastic coating
- -Made of durable Steel and Plastic
- -Includes key cover
- -Keyed lock includes 2 keys
- -Cable diameter of 8mm and cable length of 70. 87 inches
- -Easy lock mechanism
- -No key required to lock cable
4. Thule Subterra Daypack-Dark Shadow (3203037)
Looking for a stylish and practical commuter-inspired daypack that has plenty of storage and quick access compartments?
Look no further than the Nylon commuter pack! This pack fits a 15″ MacBook plus an iPad or 10.1″ tablet, and features safe edge construction and quick access to your laptop and tablet. The laptop compartment is also sized to protect your device from corner bumps and has a secondary side zipper for even more convenience.
Things We Like:
- -Flexible capacity
- -Quick access to laptop and tablet
- -Safe edge construction
- -Line laptop compartment
5. FoldyLock Compact Folding Bike Lock – Award
The best lightweight compact bike lock is the Boltcutter Lock. It is a secure and sturdy lock that is perfect for city cycling or outdoor use.
The lock comes with a 3 year warranty and is perfect for bike protection. It is also perfect for those who want to keep their bike safe and sound without having to worry about theft.
Things We Like:
- -Best light weight folding bike lock
- -Portable solid key bike lock
- -Protects bicycle
- -No code
- -Strong equipment
- -Bolt cutter drill & saw proof
- -3 year warranty
- -Bike locks heavy duty
- -Anti theft
- -Multi locking guard system
- -Bike lock with key & secure protection
- -Premium frame mount & lock for quiet ride
- -European design award winner
6. Schwinn Anti Theft Bike Lock, Security Level
U-locks are a great way to keep your bike more secure, especially if you live in a high-crime area. The U-lock is made of durable steel and can withstand a whopping 5,000 cutting forces, which means it will be difficult for someone to steal your bike.
The vinyl cover on the U-lock and the cable prevents scratches and makes the locking system weather-resistant.
The included mounting bracket makes it easy to store and transport your bike. Finally, included are 2 keys.
Things We Like:
- -Durable steel U-lock that can withstand 5,000 cutting force
- -Vinyl cover on both U-Lock and cable allows for scratch free, weather resistant locking
- -Includes mounting bracket for easy storage and transport
- -Includes 2 keys
Benefits of Using Secondary Bike Lock
Using a secondary bike lock is simple. Just thread the lock through the front wheel, frame, and back wheel.
Make sure to leave enough slack so that you can still pedal the bike. Then, close the lock and make sure it is secure.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Benefits Of A Secondary Bike Lock?
A secondary bike lock is a good way to secure your bike if you don’t have a regular lock. It can also help you if you’re having trouble getting your regular lock to work. It’s a good way to keep your bike safe if you’re not around to watch it all the time.
How Long Secondary Bike Lock Last?
Secondary bike locks typically last between 6 and 12 months.
How To Clean A Secondary Bike Lock?
If the bike lock has a key, remove the key and clean the lock with a degreaser. If the bike lock doesn’t have a key, insert a small object (like a paper clip) into the keyhole and twist it until it pops out. Clean the keyhole with a degreaser.
Which Brand Is Best For Secondary Bike Lock?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some of the more popular secondary bike locks include the Kryptonite KryptoLok Series 2 and the U-lock.
Both of these locks are highly effective at deterring theft, and both come with a variety of security features that make them ideal for use on secondary bikes.
Why Choose This Type Of Secondary Bike Lock?
This type of secondary bike lock is a good choice for bike locks because it has a high security rating.
The best secondary bike lock reviews conclude that the best bike lock for most people is the Kryptonite New York Standard Chain Lock. It is a highly effective lock that is also relatively affordable. Other good bike locks include the Kryptonite Evolution Series Chain Lock and the Yale Smart Lock.